Knights Send Thunder Out Of The 1895 Cup

An exciting round of cup action saw Championship side York City Knights take the win over Newcastle Thunder in front of an enthusiastic crowd at the Bootham Crescent.

Thunder got off to an electric start with Carne Doyle Manga coming inches of the Knights try line within the opening minutes.

But it was Evan Simons to claim the first points of the day as a well-crafted kick from Keal Carlile bounced up in to the path of a diving Simons who did well to control the ball and place it down for the try.

The Knights replied almost immediately as they scored on a first phase attack through winger Will Oakes who brought the Knights back into the game.

Mistakes were shown by both sides as they took their fair share of knock on’s resulting in a frequent change of possession.

Second-rower, Conor Fitzsimmons then demonstrated his array of skills after threading a crafty kick that forced a goal line drop out, was then found moments later charging in to a space and over the line to score a try.

Debutant, Mikey Lewis made a successful conversion and went on to make another two more from his boot. Demonstrating his commanding authority in the midfield, the young half-back showed promise in his first game of his one-month loan spell.

Thunder showed glimpses of creativity throughout the game with Keal Carlile charging down the short side, feeding a pass to Tyler Craig who made a quick tip on to Alex Clegg. The winger was then let loose down the right side and began to charge down the field but unfortunately in what was a reoccurring theme throughout the match saw Thunder unable to capitalise on their final play.

The Knights then scored two tries through Kriss Brinning and Junior VaiVai to take them into the lead just moments before the half time whistle.

Half Time:

York City Knights 16 – 10 Newcastle Thunder

The Knights entered the second half with quick attacking plays which saw Matty Marsh grabbing a try within five minutes.

However, Thunder showed no signs of backing down as creative play once again by Tyler Craig gave Alex Clegg the space to charge for the line and was unfortunate not to score as he had several Knight players wrapping him up on his way to score.

The Knights extended their lead further through a Marcus Stock try, but it was Thunder who had the last say of the day as full-back Lewis Young scored a late consolation try through a well-executed set piece play.

Full Time:

York City Knights 30 – 16 Newcastle Thunder

Newcastle Thunder now look ahead to next week where they face North Wales Crusaders in round 10 of the Betfred League One.